▼

Tuesday, July 7, 2026

THE ADVOCATE'S PLEA

The Advocate's Plea

A poem by Anna Shepherd


I’ve heard the screams of fathers in the night,

Their child, incarcerated, was murdered- This ain’t right!

Are you going to help us fight?

 

I’ve seen brothers, blank stares on their face,

Their sisters killed in custody because of their race,

Accountability, we must chase.

 

I’ve hugged mothers as they fell to the floor,

Their child ran to the officer, beating on the door,

No one was there- they scream no more.

 

I’ve visited to many grandparents who now have broken souls,

Their grandchild will never be released- no chance to reach their goals,

Their life grief now controls.

 

I’ve been to church and seen whole families asking why,

They scream to God for help with tears in their eyes,

From the DOC all they are getting- just lies.

 

I’ve read posts of the ones with hatred in their heart,

They are uneducated- to dumb to play that part,

To their knowledge, we must embark.

 

I’ve seen the ones who try and try to right so many wrongs,

They write, they march, they talk, they preach, I’ve even heard some songs,

With the suffering their heart belongs.

 

I’ve laid awake at night, unable to be at peace,

When I awake, how many more will be deceased?

I beg for help- please…

No comments:

Post a Comment